How To Make Grungy Tags
1/2 c. Instant Coffee
3 c. hot water
1. In your glass bowl, mix 3 c. of hot
water with 1/2 c. of instant coffee. Stir with spoon and let sit for 20
2. Take a handful of tags (10) and insert
them into your coffee stain mixture so that your tags are standing up. Let
them soak for a minute and then reposition the tags so that they are standing
on their sides. Keep this process going until all 4
sides of your tags have been soaked. Then take your tag and dip the entire
tag into the stain.
3. Arrange your tags on your dinner plate
(as if you were making a cheese platter). Some of the tags can overlap each
other. To create lines on your tags, drape the jute string on top of the tag.
4. Put your dinner plate and tags into
your microwave for 2 minutes.
5. With your potholder, remove the plate
and take your tags off and place them on a sheet of paper towels. Be careful:
your plate with be hot!
6. Want to make your tags extra grungy? Redip your tags back into the coffee stain and repeat the
process until you achieve the look that you like!
**Instead of using a microwave, you may
put your tags on a cookie sheet and into your oven on broil. Be sure to watch
your tags!! It will take maybe a minute for them to dry!
**I buy all of my manilla
tags at Staples. You can buy them in bulk there. You can use any kind/brand
of instant coffee. You can even add some vanilla extract to your coffee stain
to give your tags a sweet smell.